Saturday, November 30, 2013

A walk to my birthplace - Day 25 (100 Km covered so far)

I hit the road after a couple of days and finally hit my 100 Km-mark. While walking today my mind went back to something that happened over dinner a few days back.

I was with some people over dinner and when the time came to order my drink, I ordered my usual orange juice. Person sitting next to me asked “So are you off the alcohol these days?” “No, actually I never had alcohol in my life.” “Really, great abstinence!” – I just smiled because to me this was not an issue to discuss at all.

But that comment set me thinking … Actually abstinence assumes a temptation that is avoided … in my case there was never any temptation. I come from a simple middle class family where drinking neither was a part of culture nor socially accepted.  Generally many friends tried a drink or two at 17 and had to do a lot of efforts to hide it from their parents. In my case, my parents had always trusted me right from the childhood.  I don’t remember them ever asking me an account of my time or money spent – ever! Hanging out with friends, I used to return home past midnight like any normal teen-ager but do not remember ever being asked about my whereabouts. Same was true for money .... there were times when I spent money and asked for replenishment pretty fast – no questions were asked. Also, in this relationship there was no room for a lie or a secret! If I had taken a drink, there was no option of keeping it secret and my mother would have been extremely hurt if I had touched alcohol! I guessed that must have settled the issue for me quite early in life!

Do I have any views on alcohol? NO – not at all - I think it’s a matter of personal choice and a lot depends on the rules of engagement in the family. I have seen many cases of parents bonding with their kids over a drink or two. I have seen in these relationships based on openness and trust.


As long as you have congruence with your value system and that of your dear ones,   a drink or two does not matter!

1 comment: