Friday, November 22, 2013

A walk to my Birthplace - Day 16 (67 Km covered so far)


I dumped my luggage after checking in and set out to walk. After years I walked around the Brigade road and MG Road in Bangalore. I roamed around the busy streets and mind went back a few years.

First visit to Bangalore was during my childhood when my maternal uncle was posted here. First impression of the city was more about the distance to Bangalore. Perhaps that was the longest train journey till then. My uncle really pampered us during that visit and Bangalore to me meant a fairyland - a lovely place but far off.

I visited Bangalore many years after my first visit. In less than a year after our marriage, Pallavi and me came to the city in 1995. Generally fell in love with the Brigade road – it just felt nice. Mind you – we lived in Mumbai and used to spend a lot of time in the upmarket areas there but even then Bangalore had some different charm – A beautiful green city with a touch of modernity. KFC and malls had still not come to Mumbai and Bangalore felt a younger place!

Then somewhere around 2001, we shifted to Bangalore due to my job. Both Pallavi and I had never lived out of our comfort zone in Mumbai. We had to establish a home away from home for the first time. It was a mixed feeling of curiosity about new city to settle and apprehension whether we would be able to adjust to the city. Bangalore floored us! With our week-end drives, authentic south Indian food and of course the whether it was a city to fall in love. But most importantly we made friends here who were to become part of our life – Such friendly, warm, genuine people whom we never thought we will ever meet in an unknown city. We were overwhelmed with emotions leaving this city to which we came as perfect strangers. Bangalore felt such a friendly city!

Fairyland …. Modern city…. Friendly place –as I walked along, the city formed beautiful collage in my mind and I just felt lovely – just like walking around with an old friend!

1 comment:

  1. Yogesh, I missed you in 1995 there...it's my hometown too...thanks for your appreciation and love for my city, but the out growing population now made it highly congested city, else it is Fun-tastic city to live in...CNN

    ReplyDelete