Sunday, November 17, 2013

A walk to my birthplace Day 12 (55 Km covered so far)

In India cricket is religion and for most people it is rather a sport to talk about than play. As I mentioned earlier I was never a sportsman. For me, I preferred talking about cricket than playing.

We started a cricket tournament in our company and I was part of one of the cricket teams. The boys were gracious enough to accept me as part of team as I am 43 and have never shown any signs of being a sportsman. I brought up the average age of my team which otherwise would have been well below 30!

Today we had our match. My wife and son were to join the audience to watch me play. I had told them to be on time otherwise I was sure that I would be back in the pavilion even if they came 5 minutes after starting the match. After all I had not played the full over-arm cricket on a proper cricket ground for last 20 years!

We were to bat first and my wife and son were nowhere to be seen. I was asked to open the batting. I pleaded to my captain to send me after a wicket or two so that at least my family can see me on the pitch with a bat in hand. My captain told me “I need to shield our better batsmen from their best bowlers who would bowl first” How helpful! I realized that my role was more like a sacrificial goat!

As I walked to the pitch, my wife and son were not in sight. Then something happened. I was determined to play in front of them and decided come what may, I am not going to throw my wicket easily! I focused all my concentration and middled the first ball to take a single! Felt such a joy! It was just a six-over-a-side match. I came to open the batting and remained unbeaten as we scored 67 in six overs! I personally did not score much but did not waste any deliveries and rotated the strike by running like a mad dog between the wickets!
My son and wife could see me play and remain unbeaten. As I walked back, I was really happy and proud. God knows for some reason it meant a lot to me!

I definitely don’t have any sports skill but played on sheer will! I realized that I can go to any extent to impress my family. Family means so much to us and it is good to have them around so that one can stretch beyond normal limits. That’s the role of the family in our lives – family brings our best intent and best behavior!

As I massaged my tired limbs, another thing struck me! My son is just 6 years old but even my wife had never seen me play in our college days as I was never a sportsman!  Well – age no bar for impressing your girlfriend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment