Sunday, November 24, 2013

A walk to my Birthplace - Day 19 (78 Km covered so far)


In Maharabharata there is a story of Bheema – the mighty pandava and lord Hanuman –  revered as god of strength. Bheema was extremely proud of his strength and that pride had made him arrogant. One day when Bheema was going down the path, he saw an old monkey sitting on the road with its tail spread across. Bheema ordered the monkey to move the tail and the frail monkey said. “I am too old to move. Why don’t you move it?” Bheema, with all his strength could not move the tail even by an inch. Finally he bowed to the monkey and asked for forgiveness. That’s when lord Hanuman who was in the guise of an old monkey came into his own being.

I had heard this story quite a few times but it had not sunk in well…. It did - a few years back-  in a very peculiar way ……

In India long distance driving holidays are not as common as some of the other countries. I was 35 then and had planned a driving holiday all the way up to Nainitaal and Kausani (approximately 2000 Km from Pune where I stay). It was a long drive and we traveled as a big team comprising me, my wife, daughter, parents, in-laws and my brother-in law. Kausani was the farthest point in our trip and after thoroughly enjoying our stopovers at Corbett, Nainitaal, we finally arrived at Kausani. We stayed a small hotel facing the valley. After watching the sunset from the terrace, I strolled down to bonfire lit in hotel’s backyard. I came across an elderly gentleman who must be in his early sixties. We said hi to each other and he asked “where have you come from”. Feeling proud about my long distance driving I told him,” I have come from Pune and I have driven all the way with my family in Innova (MUV manufactured by Totoya)” Excellent” said the old man. Little disappointed that he showed no further curiosity I asked him about himself. “Well, I am 63 and retired. I have come from Bangalore.” “So, how did you come?” The old man quietly said, “I have a santro (small car  by Hundai) and I drove down from Bangalore”. I was speechless! Here was a man almost three decades older than me and had driven down almost 1000 km more than me in a small car and was pretty cool about it!

I blushed and felt extremely foolish about my own pride! I guess god has his own design to quietly put things in perspective. Thank you lord for everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment