Monday, December 2, 2013

A walk to my birthplace - Day 26 (103 Km covered so far)

Today was a hectic day. I had to attend a function along with the family in Mumbai. It was a wedding reception of a close family friend’s daughter so we were looking forward to it. Only problem - it was in Mumbai on Sunday evening which meant, I had to drive a two-way distance of 300 Km to be back home the same day.

 Sneha, whose wedding reception we were to attend is daughter of very close family friend. Pallavi and I have known Sneha since she was two years old and for us her marriage was an indication of how time flies. It was an occasion we were keen to attend.

Before attending the function, we went to Vile Parle – a suburb of Mumbai where I grew up and my parents still live there. While growing up it was a cozy little suburb which was home. Whenever I entered Vile Parle, I used to feel at home. It has been over 12 years since I left the place and of late I sometimes find it difficult to connect. Obviously the suburb has undergone a change – A lot of new people and a lot of new constructions that were not part of my childhood.

My parents were very happy with this surprise visit and did their best to pamper all of us. One could also see their eagerness to get best out of the short time and this is what hurts! When I get to spend so little time with them, I always feel an acute pain. I almost feel like a guest in the house where I grew up. Though I meet them often and talk to them almost every day, these short visits leave me somewhat more depressed than happy. Something does not seem right.

While driving back to Pune, I wondered what bothers me. Seeing your parents getting old is very painful. When you don’t live with them, it hits you even more.  When I go to Vile Parle, I look for the signs of childhood. When I go home, I perhaps look for my parents exactly as they were in my childhood.


While on one hand I was quite happy to attend the wedding of a kid whom I had seen grown up, I was not quite ready to accept my parents ageing. I guess it’s a strong desire to see one’s parent eternally young – howsoever illogical it may sound – it is in them that I look to preserve my childhood! Today was a day with rainbow of emotions – a little more than I could handle! May be you do not cherish some distances that you travel!!

No comments:

Post a Comment