Thursday, November 7, 2013

A walk to my birthplace Day 2 (8Kms)

I added another 4 Km today as I walked. While walking, I wondered – why does a mere thought of exercise puts me off so much. It’s the same amusement I had about what excites me about walking!

It is not that I am a low energy guy – in fact I love traveling, generally complemented for my high energy. But when it comes to exercise – I behave like a stubborn mule that suddenly refuses to move an inch further.  Every time I think of it, I come to only one conclusion which I myself find hilarious. I have never really dared to share it out in the open for the fear of being laughed at but let me give it a try as I take this journey of reflections about life in general.

It is said that if you develop a deep-rooted belief about something early in your childhood, it is difficult to shake off! As I mentioned earlier my birthplace is Kolhapur. Apart from the footwear that bears the name of the place – Kolhapur is extremely famous for one more thing – wrestling! Yes good old fashioned wrestling! These wrestlers spend hours in the ‘akhada’ (most traditional form of gymnasium) to build their muscles. Way back in the childhood, I heard a random comment that too much exercise affects their brainpower and that’s why most of them are dim-witted!!

Somewhere deep in my mind, I fixed a correlation between exercise and being dim-witted! As I grew up I knew the folly of the argument but it was too overbearing. So even in the phases when I exercised  regularly, I used to avoid exercise around exam time – I guess with some fear of losing part of my intellect along with some calories!! Many a times I had temptation to try out the other way but I used to study just before my exams and never dared to challenge my luck.


Jokes apart – so where does this leave me? Does it weaken me? May be …. If I so clearly know the stupidity around the whole issue – why am I not doing something about it? Well, I don’t have the exact answers but may be such things give me a reason to laugh at myself, may be the stupid apprehensions remind me of being a mere mortal. Whatever it is, I have made a peace with myself …. May be its too hard to give up this stupid apprehension for the fear of losing something to laugh about …. You never know!!!

8 comments:

  1. Hmm.. nice blog.. btw how do you keep yourself fit then, if you dont exercise.. I've always carried the impression that you've been a fitness maniac :)
    I'm giving you a topic for your next blog - "secrets of being fit without exercising"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you think I'm fit :-) if at all any fitness it's because of whatever walking I do + may be complete no to alcohol and nicotine :-)

      Delete
  2. Nice one Yogesh. I have stayed in Kop for years and my wife belongs from Kop (ask Ranjit!)...wonder why you did not mention about food :) Guess its coming in next blog?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh did not know that - yes food is most important part of that place - I write randomly - nothing planned :-)

      Delete
  3. A great read. Will b interesting if you can add some pics to your blog....As they say - A pic can say a thousand words :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting thought - the blogs are inspired while walking - let me figure out how to get pictures here - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you can be called Yogi! Do strap a webcam on your cap - or even the smartphone will do. That way people will get to see every step of the wanderer!

    ReplyDelete