Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A walk to my birthplace Day 21 (89 Km covered so far)

Flipping through the channels, I just lingered on National Geographic HD channel. It was a program on wild animals. A female leopard fought with a big female baboon and finally killed it. As the leopard started pulling the carcass up the tree, I decided to change the channel to avoid any further gory details. Just when I was about to change the channel, my fingers froze! A tiny one-day old infant fell off from the belly of the baboon. I was in double mind – I wanted to change the channel but curiosity prevented it. As the tiny baboon infant fell off from the branch the leopard approached it. I held my breath. The leopard gently cuddled the infant baboon. Scared as it was the infant baboon started crawling across. The leopard suddenly saw a hyena lurking around. Instead of protecting its kill, the leopard first gently picked up the infant and put it on the tree. Then it came back to chase away the hyena. The infant baboon, scared and confused, kept crawling across and leopard did its best to keep it on the branch safely. Finally the infant baboon settled with the leopard and cuddled together, they both rested!

I literally had Goosebumps! As I switched off the TV I was extremely disturbed.  We call human beings an evolved species. Regularly one reads in the newspapers the hideous act of what is shamelessly called “Honor killings”. Just because the kids decide to be partners with someone who is not from the caste/creed the council of wise men (!!!!) decide to punish them with brutal murder.


If a predator like leopard makes its best efforts to save the infant of its prey, what gives us right to call ourselves a higher species? As long as hideous events like honor killing continue to happen around us we definitely don’t deserve the description!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment