Saturday, November 9, 2013

A walk to my birthplace Day 4 (18Kms covered so far)

Taking advantage of the Saturday, I walked 6 Km instead of my normal 4 Km. More the merrier. While walking I passed by a “Bolero” (One of the Utility Vehicle brands of Mahindra & Mahindra). My mind raced back in time …..

It was year 2000 and after a 3 years of break from the Industry, I decided to join the Industry back as Head of HR for one of the IT companies in Mumbai. It was during this transition time that I came across the launch Ad of ‘Bolero’ – If you grew up in India with a childhood period of 70’s and 80’s you were always fascinated by two things – any utility vehicle that looked like police jeep and Royal Enfield motorcycle! When I saw the Ad, I was excited with the good old traditional boxy looks of that vehicle and decided to buy one. That time I was using a Van which was the  vehicle most reasonably priced amongst the four-wheelers. In my hurry to ensure that I get an early delivery, I went to the residence of a person who worked with the Mahindra & Mahindra Dealer and gave a cheque of initial payment. It was a holiday and that’s the reason I went to this person’s home rather than waiting for the next day.

I came home happy as a lark. I could see that my wife Pallavi was little pre-occupied. That was strange as generally we always share the excitements in life – big or small! I asked her about it – she was little hesitant – that was odd – generally she speaks out her mind. After persevering with her, she finally told me, “ Look, I don’t want to play spoilsport but I am not very comfortable. Generally, when you get into a new project or an assignment, you go very quiet – all the time thinking about it. But while you are joining a new job, I don’t see the traces of that behavior. The only thing you are talking or thinking about is the new vehicle!” I was little irritated,”But is it not natural? We are finally buying our first big vehicle!” Pallavi explained patiently “I understand that. But there is something else that is bothering me. I may be wrong but somehow I get a feeling that you do not want to join your new job as head of HR while driving your Van. You are desperate to go in a better vehicle. That’s not you. You never bothered about such things – your focus is shifting from what is core to you” I was speechless … After a while I asked her, ”Do you really think so”. She shrugged “ I don’t know for sure but yes I feel so!”.

Half an hour later, I walked back to the same man whom I had given the cheque and took it back on some pretext – being a thorough gentleman he did not probe any further on the matter. I joined my new assignment with full energy and drove my van to the job for the first three months. Once I felt settled, I went for my vehicle again. Our first few long distance drives were with our “Bolero”

Its easy to lose your way and not know about it …. It happens with all of us …. Sometimes you need someone to keep you on the track!

3 comments:

  1. An interesting read indeed since this happens to most of us at some point or the other. One has to be fortunate to have a support system to keep one grounded and think rationally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does desperation work at all? In that case what is 'chasing your dreams?'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting note.
    few learning taken from this post.

    ReplyDelete