Monday, December 9, 2013

A walk to my birthplace - Day 34 (116 Km covered so far)

Finally back on track - Missed the walk a few times in last few days and missed writing when walked!

Just while picking up my stuff from the locker, I saw piece of coral that is a permanent fixture there – this piece always has a great re-assuring effect on me …. Of course there is a story behind it.

Long time back, in 1991, Pallavi and I became good friends. There was something more to the relationship that was obvious to others but not to us … I was 21 and she was 18 and we just loved spending time with each other. I was her father’s favorite student and little wary of even guessing anything about my relationship with Pallavi.

Pallavi’s father was invited as part of Indian delegation to Mauritius for a few days in 1991. Pallavi asked me if I could pick him at airport when he returned back. “I will also come with you” she said casually (or so I thought) … my heart fluttered …. “OK” I tried to sound as normal as I could. We were there at the airport in the middle of night and thankfully her uncle who accompanied us was busy finding out flight arrival information. Both of us quietly sat on a luggage trolley without exchanging a word!!

Once Pallavi’s father arrived, we drove to their residence in Worli. He was back from his first overseas trip and all of us chatted late into night sipping some tea. When I finished my tea Pallavi’s father affectionately told her, “Go, get some more tea for dada (elder brother!!)” She stomped furiously to the kitchen and did not return for some time. Though little awkward, I felt happy for some strange reason …. Perhaps it was the first clue that I was looking out for!

It was quite late in the night and I got up to leave. Pallavi returned back and quietly handed me a small piece of coral that her father had got from Mauritius.


I drove back with my little gift, feeling quite upbeat! I came home and kept it with all my important belongings. It is the habit that I have retained for last 22 years. That piece of coral is always kept in my  locker. Every time I see it, I am reminded of the reason to live for. That little piece has magic to bring a sense of well-being every time I look at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment