Monday, December 30, 2013

A walk to my birthplace Day 55 (154 Km covered so far)

I am fortunate to have a huge campus of NCL next to my house. It’s a lovely place to take a walk in the morning. You do not feel you are in the midst of city as you walk through trees and tall grass.

Today as I crossed a cluster of trees, I was distracted by a sudden noise made by a group of birds. I realized these were jungle babblers- commonly known as “seven sisters” for the habit of moving in the group of 6-7 all the time and making a lot of noise.

“Seven sisters” took me back in time. During my college days, a few of us had formed our own nature club and registered ourselves with WWF (Worldwide Fund for Nature). We diligently used to go on our bird-watching trails every Sunday. Mumbai has (or at least that time had!) a 91 Sq Km jungle which used to boast of about 285 species of birds ….

…. We used to park our two-wheelers near the film city gate of the forest and walk deep inside …. We walked on many Sundays in all different seasons …. During monsoon one could lose count of peacocks crossing the roads … a pheasant crow – an otherwise shy bird with a sweet call used to be a regular friend there …. Oriole with a bright yellow body and black head was a sight to behold! I still can feel the shiver up my spine when we spotted a family of huge vultures on a lonely road!

The best memory I have is that of a Malabar Hornbill. Hornbill is a bird with huge beak and not very common around crowded cities. On one corner of the road, we spotted a tree little below the level of the road. As soon as we spotted the hornbill, we stood there still like statues lest the bird should get disturbed. Hornbill sat there on a big branch and as we saw little more carefully, we saw a hole in the tree trunk covered with mudpack. A baby hornbill sat there comfortably taking feed from the parent hornbill on the branch. I don’t remember exactly but we sat there for a long time transfixed. It was something of a spiritual experience!!

Looking back, I realize that those jungle trails did a lot for me …. Those trails taught me to walk on lonely roads without any expectations and be appreciative of the gifts, the journey has in store for you. Walking around aimlessly, after all,  can be very purposeful!


I winked at the babblers and walked away with a promise to return tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment