Saturday, December 28, 2013

A walk to my birthplace Day 52 (145 Km covered so far)

Just like any average Indian middleclass boy, I drooled at Royal Enfield bikes (more commonly and fondly called “Bullet” across all its models). The problem was, I could never afford one – neither the price nor the mileage. However, the dream of buying a “Bullet” always lingered on in my mind.

Finally at the age of 43, I bought a Royal Enfield classic 500 - a sheer beauty. I just wanted to live up my old dream of roaming around on my bike with my wife. As we started roaming around, we realized the problem. Back seat is not all that comfortable to ride and Pallavi complained some back pain after some long rides. I was little disappointed and decided to take the bike to one of the mechanics I had heard about.

My cousin had told me about a mechanic who operates in Pune. He is considered as expert on ‘Bullets’ and also called Bullet Ramesh. I went to him with my bike to check if something can be done about the backseat. Well, Ramesh operates near a petrol pump and when I went to search for him, a man in shabby dress approached me.  He introduced himself as Ramesh. I was little disappointed – he looked a simple man not even wearing a mechanic apron! I told him the problem and asked him if he could do something.

He told me that he works on bike and not on “other parts”. He also told me not to waste my time searching for the solution for the seat. I was disappointed but liked his direct talk. “I am sure something can be done” I asked him. Ramesh scratched his head for and said, “May be if we adjust suspension setting, ride on the back seat could be little easier.” I asked him “Ok, how much time will it take and when should I come?” He looked at me, shook his head, sat down near my bike with a screwdriver, “I will do it now”. He showed me how simple was the adjustment and finished the job in couple of minutes. “How much do I pay you”. He smiled – “Nothing for this. Just don’t ask such questions, some people will advise you to change the suspension instead of this simple job! By the way, I am also authorized to service your bike”.


I thanked him and left thinking. There was something about his expertise that appealed to me. He was not the one who hyped his work. I also may not have to pay for overheads like his workshop rent, uniform and many other things which may not have any relevance to servicing my bike! May be this simple man had a very simple USP for which I would not mind paying him – his passion and knowledge for Bullet!

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is like addiction to me., everyday i checked linkedin to check how far u reached to kolhapur ... Btw m also from kolhapur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Aniket! Great to know we belong to same place. Do keep reading and posting - just helps me to keep writing :-)

    ReplyDelete