Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A walk to my birthplace - Day 29 (107 Km covered so far)

I was back to walking track after couple of days of break due to rains and travel.

Yesterday when I came back from office, my son was eagerly waiting for me. As soon as I stepped in, my 6-years old son came running with ‘breaking news’. “Teacher made me class monitor” then he proudly showed me the badge given by school. We performed a little jig. My teenage daughter watched with half-amusement and half embarrassment. “How long are you going to be the monitor?” she asked. My son simply ignored the question – just like me, he does not believe in petty details when it comes to celebrations.

 “We need to celebrate”, I told my son. “Yes, lets go to Goa”. I know going to Goa, almost 500 km away, to celebrate for this occasion was going little overboard. But my son has inherited my genes of disproportionate celebration for any happy occasion. We generally wafted in the cloud of happiness for some time.

Once sanity prevailed, my wife took over. She decided to drive home her point. “Chinmay, now that you are a class monitor you have to be in your best behavior and your class-work should be neat and tidy”. I could see the little on was now lost in his thoughts and suddenly he was not sure if being monitor is such a good thing after all! My wife and I did our best not to laugh.

With Assembly elections in the air, I couldn’t think of comparing our little scene with what happens at a much higher level with higher stakes. It is quite common to see the politicians in full force while they are in opposition – they speak with gay abandon with little concern for anything. If and when the tables turn, this bunch comes into power. Once the celebrations and initial euphoria is over, reality dawns – They are now accountable for something, they no longer have the liberty to point fingers at power for anything that goes wrong! With power come responsibility!


Sometimes I just wonder whether they secretly yearn to get back to opposition benches! You can never underestimate the joy of lack of accountability!!

No comments:

Post a Comment