Saturday, September 5, 2009

Spare a Thought for our politicians...

All the News channels were flashing the news of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YSR Reddy missing on 2nd September. Not that I know much about YSR’s politics or himself as a politician but as I got up next day, my first reaction was to switch on the News channel hoping for some good news – Unfortunately that was not to be and the tragedy hit everyone a few hours later.

The News channel covered all related stories – about his possible succession and its impact on Andhra politics. There were politicians cutting across party lines paying tribute – while a quiet YSR lying deep in the jungle was being brought back!

There was something disturbing about the whole incident and mind you I am not really talking about Media sensitivity and stuff – I guess they were just carrying on with their jobs!

I was intrigued with my own feelings about the man whom I hardly knew. Why should I be so disturbed – it was definitely not about the accident – those keep happening all the time. No one would ever know what must have crossed his mind dying in a remote place after spending a lifetime in a public glare.

Politicians work almost round the clock at the age when people generally retire, relax and are happy if they are able to take care of their own health and pride (I love the HDFC Standard Life Ads!). I wonder what drives them so hard through-out the life. Do they really have power to live life their own way – indulge in their impulses the way we can. I doubt – I guess it’s a life like a goldfish in a glass bowl – constantly under public glare, constantly meeting the demands of the public image, never setting a foot wrong.

Wouldn’t there be objectives higher than simple greed that keep one away from simple liberties of life:

I’ll be petrified if I am smashed every time I contradict myself – I would be more like a mashed potato than a human body!

I shudder at the thought of being told that my every action must be seen as towards the betterment of someone else!

Even at a workplace I feel the right to have a “Friday Dressing” to break the shackles of formality that tie me down from Monday to Thursday

What if I am told that I cannot change my job for higher salary because that would be very selfish of me!

Professionals with a combination of excellent leadership and management capabilities are jewels in the corporate world – a combination that you will find almost in every successful politician. As you go up the ladder, ability to handle grey areas define the success and here is a job where its only grey that you handle right from the beginning. Most of the stories have started with a cause....on the street.......taking on all that comes along the way – the good, the bad and the ugly.

We have not only lost Andhra Chief Minister but someone has lost a father, a brother, a friend, a husband and most importantly someone has lost a precious life. This is the time when a family may need a private moment to bid farewell to the dear one – a basic privilege that is invariably denied.

Adieu YSR – may your soul rest in PEACE!

2 comments:

  1. Thought provoking !
    As i understand this world, its about making a choice, and then having the conviction to stand up to, as well as the humility to admit when you falter. Living the life of a public servant is a choice where its consequences are more or less known and you might call it a myopic view, but the 'need for power' for such individuals is higher than most others.

    The last para does however,reaches out to sensitivity rather than the sense,even in the most critical of (wo)men. Good stuff i say!


    -Anvesha

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Need for power' is what drives people up the ladder in corporate lives too, though its not the only or mandatory qualification. I do not agree that its a choice that some people make. Its really an obligation for all people who feel they can better the lives of people around them or/and solve the problems of the nation. What could have made Manmohan Singh get into the act, when he could have easily been an Amartya Sen or a Paul Krugman !! I don't think it was his choice for sure now was it a need for power !!

    Successful politicians indeed have a combination of skills that are much better than the best CEOs. And the fact that they put it to a public service objective has to be lauded. The 'power' part of it is still an incidental thing whether it acted as a motivator or a side-benefit.

    Jai Ho to YSR and other folks across all parties who have bettered the lives of people and also of nation. We need more like you.

    You guessed it right!!!,

    A Future Neighborhood Neta...

    ReplyDelete