Thursday, August 20, 2009

The following story just dropped in my mail-box – couldn’t resist sharing:

Story told by a man which is most frightening yet thought-provoking experiences of his life.
He had been on a long flight.. The first warning of the approaching problems came when the sign on the airplane flashed on: “Fasten your Seat Belts”
Then, after a while, a calm voice said, "We shall not be serving the beverages at this time as we are expecting a little turbulence. Please be sure your seat belt is fastened.." As he looked around the aircraft, it became obvious that many of the passengers were becoming apprehensive. Later, the voice of the announcer said, "We are so sorry that we are unable to serve the meal at this time.. The turbulence is still ahead of us.”
And then the storm broke. The ominous cracks of thunder could be heard even above the roar of the engines. Lightening lit up the darkening skies, and within moments that great plane was like a cork tossed around on a celestial ocean. One moment the airplane was lifted on terrific currents of air; the next, it dropped as if it were about to crash.
The man confessed that he shared the discomfort and fear of those around him. He said, "As I looked around the plane, I could see that nearly all the passengers were upset and alarmed. Some were praying.
The future seemed ominous and many were wondering if they would make it through the storm. And then, I suddenly saw a girl to whom the storm meant nothing. She had tucked her feet beneath her as she sat on her seat and was reading a book.
Everything within her small world was calm and orderly. Sometimes she closed her eyes, then she would read again; then she would straighten her legs, but worry and fear were not in her world. When the plane was being buffeted by the terrible storm, when it lurched this way and that, as it rose and fell with frightening severity, when all the adults were scared half to death, that marvelous child was completely composed and unafraid."
The man could hardly believe his eyes. It was not surprising therefore, that when the plane finally reached its destination and all the passengers were hurrying to disembark, he lingered to speak to the girl whom he had watched for such a long time.
Having commented about the storm and behavior of the plane, he asked why she had not been afraid.
The sweet child replied,

"Sir, my Dad is the pilot, And he is taking me home."

A father is always the hero...always strong.......one of the most enduring images of my childhood – one of the earliest memories is the joy that was Saturday- it used to be early morning school and Dad would come to drop me– As we walked together he would hold my schoolbag in just one hand - without it even touching the ground!!!!!

Now being a father, I get awed by the enormity of the task of being a Hero – Do Heroes have right to be scared...to Age....to feel weaker?

Don’t think so.....I just hated the last scene from the movie Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gam....How can Amitabh be shown weeping and apologizing.....the one who always made the villains cry to make our childhood secure!!

Well...I have figured out the simplest solution along with my kids....at 78 Dad just continues to be the Hero of the family while I take my carefree emotional flights!!!!!!

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful story Yogesh. I always marvel at how stories can immediately make a heartconnect and trigger reflection.

    My thought about Heroes feeling pain, of course they do. We iconify heroes and transmute superhuman or should I say extra-human qualities on them.

    I have rarely met a hero who thought himself one. Heroes are men and women, just like you me and the girl next door. They ache, they fall, they blunder.

    Your story to me, is the story of the trust in the relationship between a child and her parent. In all my work, the most damaged psyches I have seen are ones where this trust is compromised. Your story is equally a reminder of the hierarchies we create and sustain when such relationships are not balanced over time, and the humanness of the hero is not apparent, for the other fall, is he fall from grace of the hero. Not because s/he was imperfect, but because s/he was human and we had taken away that right.

    Cry with your children and laugh with them too, when they see you can be human and heroic, that will give them the freedom to do the same!

    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad's the hero... always !! :)

    Good read... Welcome ! nd keep bloggin !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its unnerving at times to to see that my son copies my mannerisms and may actually end up like me, in a lot of ways.
    More unnerving to see that, for all my earlier talk of belonging to a very different & free spirited world, I am actually turning out to be more like my dad.
    By that connection, quite reassuring that my son may have a lot of my dad in him. Jai Ho..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one Siva! Jai ho,certainly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great one.. that reminds me of something I felt when my father died last year. This was the exact same thing - http://blog.somik.net/sad-side-of-life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on starting your blog, Yogesh! Excellent post. Yes, you are absolutely right. Being a Hero is a huge responsibility. You forfeit your rights to be human, you have so many expectations to live up to. But I am sure the joy of seeing your child's face as he looks up to you in admiration more than makes up for it all. Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Yogesh

    really inspiring stories,

    Both the stories are quite inspiring – congratulations, we not going to miss your company. But as you know nowadays it’s a remix jamana - what if Pilots wife was sitting in the flight :)

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. More over, what if wife was the pilot and her husband was sitting in the cabin? hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good thing about being father is you just have to love and trust your kids and you become their hero for lifetime.
    Good story to start your blog Yogesh.

    ReplyDelete