Sunday, January 12, 2014

A walk to my birthplace - Day 67 (212 Km covered so far)


I was talking my friend who has run 25 marathons so far. He explained me interesting concepts called ‘pace setters’ and ‘bus’. Pace setters are experienced runners who can set a pace for a marathon based on terrain, whether conditions etc. They lead a group of runners to run the marathon as per the set pace and cover the race in target time. Group following ‘pace setter’ is called ‘bus’. Pace setter does not win marathon but the biggest joy is to take an entire group along to complete the marathon in a specified time. My friend told me about a pace-setter called Lizzy and asked me to look up her profile. Lizzy is a young runner who has come in top 3 in earlier marathons. Instead of focusing on getting her rank in the marathon, Lizzy has decided to be a ‘pace setter’ for the upcoming Marathon in Mumbai ……

Lizzy is a successful Financial Services professional who has turned entrepreneur.  Despite her extremely busy and competitive career, Lizzy trains seriously and has always come topper in many of the runs. She has also inspired many of her friends to take up running seriously and stay fit in life ….

Lizzy’s story intrigued me ….

Lizzy comes from a profession where many compete purely to win. That becomes your second nature.... be it career or everyday life. Lizzy has chosen not to compete despite a chance of winning. She has chosen to help others attain the joy of completing a marathon….

I have been walking for a few days to attain my desired goal and sometimes find it tough. Hats off to Lizzy who will run this marathon to help others achieve their goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment