Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Dream Drive - Day 5

22nd May was the day when the most exciting part of the journey started. The road up to Sonmarg was beautiful and we covered it just under three hours. Right now the troupe movements had not started and so there was no fixed time to go to Zojilla pass. One of my colleagues – Col Dinkar Pandere had been a commanding officer at Leh. He called me just before the Zojilla pass to wish good luck and that helped.


Now, started the part of drive – the most exciting – the great Zojilla pass. Mostly it’s a dirt road with lots of rocky patches – so it is literally hiking expedition with your vehicle. While you pass on the narrow strip of the road, one side is a deep valley and the nature is at its raw best! As I was driving through the mountains for the first time I was very cautious and was letting everyone overtake me. The only mistake I made was to stand on the slope to let couple of vehicles pass. Now, that’s a trouble at height where oxygen is little less - because the vehicle refused to climb from a stationary position on the slope. It actually started sliding back – I was ok as it was one of the wider parts of the road. I let the vehicle come back to the base of the slope very carefully. One local driver who was watching all this came to me and told me “Saab gaadi pyaar se chalana kucch nahi hoga nahi to mein chadha dunga (Sir – drive with gentle care and your vehicle will be alright – if required I can help you to take the vehicle up)” – I thanked him from the bottom of my heart –took a deep breath and started again – for sure we covered the hump peacefully. Throughout the pass there were soldiers standing at certain points. They used to look at me and encourage – “You are doing great –keep going”- it really helped.

As we cleared Zojilla pass, the scene changed – we had snow on both sides of the road but thankfully the road condition was much better. As we passed the famous Tiger Hill, we stopped at what is now called Capt Vikram Batra transit camp – This is the point at which brave Capt Vikram Batra laid is life for the country in Kargil war to reclaim a strategic location. While we were reading the information, two soldiers approached us asking about whether we are from Maharashtra. They just wanted to talk to us in Marathi and it was really a touching experience to talk to those two bravehearts. They advised us not to miss the Kargil war memorial at Dras. This was one experience that I will never forget in life! As I saw the war memorial – I wept – must be after years. Such fine young men laid down their lives to protect us and that too just because we have a neighbor that’s nothing more than a failed state! The line written said it all – “We gave our today to ensure your tomorrow”.

Road from thereon to Kargil is scenic but honestly I don’t remember much as I was too overwhelmed with what I saw at the war memorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment