Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Dream Drive – Day 2

Day-2 was from Udaipur to Gurgaon. This distance is just over 650 Km and very unlike us we started as late as 9.15 in the morning – generally we prefer to leave at latest 730 AM so that we can cover maximum distance before noon.


There are two roads to Gurgaon / Delhi – one via Nathadwara and other via Chitorgargh. I had earlier traveled by the Nathadwara road and would have traveled by that same road. While chatting up with the petrol pump assistant told me about the other road. Thankfully it was a lovely 4-lane highway till Jaipur and I was saved of negotiating on the old road negotiating with trucks loaded with huge marble slabs. Yesterday I talked about beautiful ecosystem on highway and today I met a maniac driving his car as if he was on race track! Thankfully no untoward incident happened though I was quite mad at him. Now-a-days due to promise given to Pallavi, I don’t pick up fights – so just let him go with just a few expletives 

It was terribly hot and the temperature was above 42 most of the time. The Endeavour performed well and we could keep going pretty decently. This is stretch of road which is through barren land and can be boring. I resorted to my childish pleasure to keep my mind away from boredom. This is a trick which I have used for years and it works. I keep calculating the distance travelled each hour and if the next hour can be better than the earlier hour without taking stress. I still enjoy it if I can cover a little more distance than previous hour. There is continuously mental arithmetic going on in mind about how much distance will be covered this hour if I have covered so much distance in so many minutes – this simple childish game keeps your mind alert and helps driving.

The road from Jaipur to Delhi that was a pleasure at a point in time is in terrible condition due to the huge construction work going on. But thankfully reached Gurgaon by 630-645 pm

The music was continuously on and to keep our 6-year old son in good humor we had to play a particular Shah Rukh Khan song after every 45 minutes – I doubt if Shah Rukh Khan himself has also heard it so many times.

Just couple of times when I came out of the vehicle I realized how terrible the weather was. When you see all the people actually walking or working on the way – you can’t help wondering the tenacity that is built in their system.

So far tough we have technically covered almost half the distance, it was a straight road that we had traveled earlier. Now eagerly waiting for the next part of the trip when we enter J&K tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment