Friday, September 24, 2010

This (also) happens in India – part 4

The country of paradoxes …. where Mercs and bullock-carts co-exist on the road …. the feet of elders are still touched at home while calling your seniors by first names in the office ….. a country with a throbbing heart ….. a beautiful place that’s never short of surprises …. Here are a few that touched my heart….. this is my India …. The picture may not be representative …. But then who cares??

As we drove along happily towards Salem, my Bolero started knocking suddenly. When I tried pressing the peddle, engine began to die down. I immediately shifted gears. Once I got the vehicle in second gear, engine started showing signs of life again. I heaved a sigh of relief. Then it happened again as I tried to shift into higher gear …. I almost panicked! It was getting dark and we were just three of us – me, my wife and our four year old daughter - on a relatively quiet highway to Salem. We were on that road for the first time and had no clue how safe the road was after the dark. I wiped my forehead and started driving the vehicle in 2nd gear at a speed of 20. “Damn” – I knew the problem theoretically but it was as good as knowing only the theory of swimming in deep waters. This is the time when many “ifs” start troubling you …… if only I had put my foot down for getting the fuel filter changed rather than going by the assurance of the maintenance manager at the workshop ….. if I had started earlier in the day than spending half a day in office to start only at 4.30 ….. and so on ….. “What do we do now?” – asked my wife who thankfully can stay pretty calm in such situations …. “Nothing much, we’ll keep going like this and as soon as we reach Salem, we’ll check in the first hotel in sight and figure out about the vehicle tomorrow morning” …. Thankfully this ordeal ended in an hour and we saw the lights of Salem …… Don’t know how many people have felt happier than me and my wife at the sight of Salem …. I just drove in the first hotel that came our way ….. I think it was something called Cenney’s Gateway ….. “Let me first check whether the rooms are available” …. I told my wife as I left for the reception with the engine of the vehicle still running (just didn’t dare to shut it off). Mercifully the rooms were available …. “Is there any Mahindra service center nearby?” I asked casually and briefly told the counter-clerk about my situation ….. “Oh – there is one just right behind the hotel …. May be closing time now …. Why don’t you check there first, I’ll keep the room for you – don’t worry”. I ran to the vehicle with a big “thank you” to him …… As we drove to the service center, I saw a man in his blue uniform walking out of the service center. “Is this Mahindra Service Center?” “Yes, but we are closed now. You can come tomorrow”. “Please can you do something? I have to reach Munnar tomorrow morning, if I don’t get this fixed tonight, half my vacation will be spoied….. pleeeaseeeee!” “OK, lets check – we’ll go for the test drive – let madam and the kid be comfortable in the reception out there” “Thank you… but they will come with us” There is no way I was going to let my wife and child be alone in an unknown place in the unknown city!! As he drove the vehicle “Fuel filter problem sir” “ I know, please do something” “This is an authorized service station – I cannot fix it just like that” I pleaded again and he agreed to help. Next 45 minutes he and his assistant worked sincerely and did the necessary work of cleaning …. I sighed a relief as I drove the vehicle again …… he beamed “now no problem sir …. Go to Munnar and get it fixed when you are back in Bangalore – I guarantee” …… now came the difficult part …. How much should I pay this man ….. now that I was out of the stress, I started worrying whether I will be fleeced financially for this act of kindness! Ready to bargain for much higher amount, I decided to start with ` 200/- “Whats this sir …I don’t want any money” I thought he was being sarcastic. “No you helped me going out of your way so take it” “I told you sir - I can’t take any money – this is an authorized service station” “I’ll really feel good if you take the money” …. I never expected the bargain to go this way! As I almost thrust the money in his hand, he looked at it “Why ` 200 sir …. It was simple cleaning job” He kept one hundred rupee note back in my pocket before I realized it, gave a friendly salute and walked away ….. I was stunned as Raghavan walked away (yes … this story is 10 years old and I still remember his name clearly) ….. The money I offered could have been his day’s salary ….. I was in need and he easily could have gone for the kill ….. I saluted the man as he walked away quickly and thanked him from the bottom of my heart as it just reconfirmed my belief that “This (also) happens in India”.

4 comments:

  1. True Yogesh, but in the larger clutter of corruption and dishonesty, we fail to appreciate such small incidences which celebrate the true India. Its this silver lining that keeps the country running!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Yogesh!!! All of us in our entire life span get to meet such devdoots or angels who thru their selfless deed touch the bottom of our hearts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yogesh, erudite as usual, your blogs touch the soul. I am just writing about "The Politics of Corrution" and would like to reference your blog in this edition of my blog.

    When all of us have the ability to exercise our power for good, it is often the opposite that manifests around us; which is where the politics (the power to exercise our choices) and the acting in the larger interests of society without ulterior motives (the opposite of corruption) plays out.

    Keep writing, it is quite inspirational!!!

    Best regards,
    Subbu Iyer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressed!!! While we everyday read / watch 2G, CG kind of news reported by CAG or others, and get really worried, what is coming next. But this kind of real life stories reinstate the believe that better tomorrow is always assured in INDIA. I just read this, on a Saturday afternoon, and it taste like a sweet dish. Regards Ankit

    ReplyDelete